There is a lot of information out there about garage door openers, and if you’re not sure what to look for in one, or if you’re having trouble figuring out how to use yours, read on for some helpful tips. First and foremost, make sure that your opener is compatible with the type of door you have. For example, some openers are designed for wood doors while others work better with metal ones.
Garage Harmony has been installing quality garage door openers and new garage doors in the Metro Portland Oregon areas as well as Vancouver Washington and Bend Oregon for several years. We also repair residential and commercial garage door openers and garage doors in Portland, Bend and Vancouver.
Learn About the Different Types of Garage Door Openers
Garage door openers come in a few different varieties, and each has its own benefits and drawbacks.
Chain-drive garage door openers are the most common type and are very affordable. They’re also durable and easy to install, but they’re not as quiet as other types of garage door openers.
Belt-drive garage door openers are a bit more expensive but much quieter than chain-drive models. They’re also more durable and require less maintenance.
Direct drive garage door openers are the most expensive type but also the most reliable. They’re very quiet and can be installed even in tight spaces. With only one moving part these openers are ideal for a totally quiet opening and closing of your garage door.
Why You Should Replace Your Garage Door Opener
Garage door openers are often taken for granted until they stop working. If your opener is more than 10 years old, it might be time to replace it. Garage door openers are a common necessity in households. They provide an easy way to open and close your garage door without having to leave your car or walk all the way to the garage. However, over time they can stop working properly or you may simply need a new one for a change. Here are some of the most common reasons why people need to replace their garage door opener:
- Safety – Garage door openers manufactured today are much safer than those made 10 or more years ago. Many newer openers come with features that prevent them from closing if something is in the way, such as a child or pet.
- Energy Efficiency – Newer garage door openers are much more energy-efficient than older models, which can save you money on your electric bill.
- The Remote Doesn’t Work Properly – This is another common problem that can be annoying, especially if you’re trying to open the garage door and the remote just isn’t working properly. Replacing the remote will ensure that you’ll have full control over your garage.
- Security – You’ll be glad you installed a garage door opener if it provides you with some level of security against intruders. By using a remote control, you’ll have full control over the garage door. This means that if someone tries to break into your garage, you have the ability to close the door and keep them out.
- Reliability – You shouldn’t have to worry about your openers being broken or malfunctioning. Installing a new garage door opener will give you peace of mind that your garage door will open and close easily for all members of your family.
- Keypad Entry – Garage doors that are older maynot have been installed with a keypad entry. Now would be a good time to replace your garage door opener with a new keypad entry system. Some of the newer keypad do not even require a code. These keypads can be opened and closed by touch using fingerprint detection.
- Battery Backup – Sometimes the power will go out for unknown reasons which cause your garage door not to open our close. New garage door openers that are installed now have the option available for a battery back up system. With this type of system should the power go out for an extend time, you’ll still be able to open and close your garage door.
Is Your Garage Door Opener Not Working? Here are a Few Trouble Shooting Tips To Try
If your garage door opener is not working, here are a few things you can do to troubleshoot the problem:
- Check the outlet to make sure it is working.
- Check the power cord to make sure it is plugged in correctly.
- Check the light bulbs to see if they are burned out.
- Open and close the garage door manually to see if it is inoperable for some other reason.
- Make sure your door has not been locked by mistake
- Replace the Batteries of the keypad or remote control.
- Check the garage door satey sensors.
- Check the garage door tracks, rails and wheels
- Garage door openers should be lubricated every 6 months with light oil to keep them running smoothly
It is important to have your garage door opener installed by a professional to ensure that it is properly balanced and safe. Garage door openers should be on a maintenance schedule and should be lubricated every 6 months with light oil to keep them running smoothly.
If you are looking for a reliable and affordable garage door repair and installation service in Portland OR, Bend OR or Vancouver WA then look no further than the professionals at Garage Harmony. We offer a wide range of services to meet your needs, and we always provide quality workmanship. We are a family-owned and operated business that takes pride in our work, and we are committed to providing our customers with quality service at a fair price. So don’t put off that needed repair any longer – call us today at 503-207-2056 for a free estimate or use one of our forms to contact us!